Monday, May 23, 2011

Strawberries and Swings

The beautiful summer weather has finally started to creep into the great state of North Carolina.

(Actually it really hasn't. But I'm hoping if summer hears me talk about her in the same sentence with words like "wonderful" and "78 degrees", then she may just decide to forgo the whole 90 degree days thing and give us a July and August full of mid-70 degree days. Oh please summer ... please!)

We're trying to take as much advantage of the weather as we can before it gets too hot. The kiddos have probably spent several hours a day outside over the past few weeks. In looking for outside activities, we jumped at the chance to go strawberry picking once all the patches in the area opened. In Florida, we were pretty limited to picking oranges and grapefruit (not that other produce wasn't around, it was just harder to find). I'm ok with oranges, but I'm really more of a strawberry/blueberry kind of girl. Luckily we have strawberry and blueberry farms in abundance in NC, so I was ready to get picking once the season started a couple weeks ago.

We headed out early in the morning to avoid a lot of the sun. My kids have my coloring (think Casper the ghost), so I lubed them up with SPF Infinity and hoped that their little limbs wouldn't look like reflective shields in the glaring sun. Once we got there, we all got a bucket and started picking!














Naturally, I was worried about the kids eating all the strawberries instead of just picking them. I mean, we were in a wide open field so it would be pretty hard to hide the fact that your child was eating instead of picking. I warned Luke repeatedly to NOT EAT THE STRAWBABIES (See? I even used his lingo to make things crystal clear).

At first he was good, but he always had this little smirk on his face when I turned to look at him.















"What Mom? I'm cute, remember? And the baby. And I just had a birthday. You can't tell the cute baby birthday boy not to try something as delicious as a strawbaby, right?"















"Yeah, that's what I though. Baby always wins."
















So I did what all good moms do. I turned around to help the other kids and cursed myself for not putting a red shirt on the boy to hide the evidence. At least the triplets were more interested in picking than in eating.










































Meanwhile ...















He's totally laughing to himself in the picture above. Thinking about how he really pulled one over on the ole parentals.

Showing off the "fruits" (hardy har) of their labor!














When we had to take the buckets up to pay, I was a little concerned over what they would say about Luke's obvious indulgence. So we walked up, I held my breath, and he flashed Mr. Strawberry Cashier one of these ...














Man, when do we lose the ability to do that? You know, flash a cute little red-stained mouth smile and get away with anything? I'll just have to conduct a little social experiment and see how long it works for Luke. At age two it still works.

After the picking was over, we decided to indulge some more in our yet-to-shower, patch picking grubbiness and get a little more dirty at the park. This new park has recently become one of the kids favorites. As always, we had to hit the swings first.
















I must admit that I'm not a huge fan of the swings because a) it is a workout pushing so many kids simultaneously and b) I hate that we inevitably take over the entire allotment of swings when we swing at the park. As any mom knows, the swings are a hot ticket item at the park. Well, when we commandeer ALL of the swings at one time, I get my fair share of "Are you done yet?" glares. Not fun for me. So I'm always happy once they tire of the swings, even though it means more work for me when chasing them around the playground equipment.

Sam and his new friend.














Adah getting ready to climb. Sidenote: Does anyone with a curly haired child know what I should do about this hair? It's slowly starting to get out of control! My hair is as straight as it gets, so I have no idea what to do ...





















We finished the morning off at a downtown bakery for snack (read: Matt and I really wanted a scone so we talked the kids into going to the bakery instead of home for goldfish or pretzels). We also spent the majority of our afternoon outside, so the kiddos definitely got their weekly dose of vitamin D in just one day.

I hope everyone had a great spring weekend as well. Anyone make some good memories or get something finally checked off that to-do list? My list is about a foot long and growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment