Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Catching Up

The last week or so has been a whirlwind and I keep feeling like I am behind and struggling to catch up. This week is the kids' spring break and we just decided to spend it at home this year. I'd planned to have a fun few days of play dates and adventures, but then another plague decided to descend upon our house. I thought I'd already done my penance this year when I had the cold (that seriously felt like the flu) from H-E-double hockey sticks last month while Matt was out of town ... but no. We were hit with strep throat this week, ugh.

I don't think I've had strep since high school and the doctor said it's mostly a school-age kid illness. We Cliffords are just overachievers in that we defied logic and the typical age range of the disease (ages 5-15 is most common, in case you were wondering). Luckily, only two of the kids appear to have gotten it and it has barely slowed them down. I think they complained about a sore throat maybe once or twice. Meanwhile, I'm downing painkillers every four hours along with gargling salt water and I was DYING. I finally gave in and went to the doctor and now things are looking up since I've been on the antibiotics for a day.

Even though we didn't go anywhere for spring break this week, we did just spend a long weekend in Charleston with family. This city (specifically, Isle of Palms) is one of our favorite places to visit and I'm so glad we get to go so frequently. The water was still cold, but the kids didn't mind and played to their hearts' content. We visited our favorite Charleston hangout (Cosmic Jack's), let the triplets experience their first go-cart ride at Blackbeard's Cove (I'm pinning the contraction of the strep on Blackbeard himself), and the girls and I even managed to fit in a trip to one of our favorite kid's clothing stores, Shrimp and Grits. It was nice to get away, even if it was just for a few days.

Here's a few of my favorites from the weekend ...


























The kids were also introduced to the coolest toy, a remote control airplane. Check out the looks on all of their faces ...


















And finally, 4,000 bonus points to anyone who can tell me what this place is and what it's known for. We stopped there on our way to the beach.





















That's it from here. It's time to go and swallow some more pills. Stay away from Blackbeard's Cove!!!

2 comments:

  1. Rush's! Famous for hot dogs! I'm a fellow South Carolinian and triplet mom. And Charleston is one of my favorite places! We just made our reservations for a beach house on Edisto Island this summer. Our triplets are FOURTEEN, and they're each taking a friend. So you might want to steer clear of Edisto the first week in August!
    You have beautiful children! i don't remember how I first found your blog, but I enjoy reading about your family, and it makes me reminisce fondly about times when my children were little and cute! Now they're big and moody!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! My husband grew up going to Rush's and is particularly fond of their fried chicken! I can't imagine my kids being fourteen, but obviously you made it and are still alive so that give me hope. Good luck with 6 fourteen year olds this summer!

      Delete