Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Kidspeak


Sam, like lots of kids, is afraid of thunder storms. Actually, he's the only one of the four that's scared by the thunder. That surprises me because I was sure I'd get more than one that was scared. He's come a long way though. He used to not be able to stay in his room alone during a nighttime storm. He's gradually gotten more brave and can now make it through most storms without needing us to stay in the room.

Recently, we had a really bad summer storm with lots of lightning and thunder. I knew that it was just a matter of time until Sam woke up to the crashes of thunder. After one particularly loud boom, I could hear him whimpering in his room. I went to check on him and we had the following conversation.

Me: "Hey buddy, are you ok?"

Sam: "Mom, I heard lots of thunder!"

Me: "I know, there's a storm outside. But you know it can't hurt you, right? The thunder is outside and you are safe inside. The thunder can't hurt you in here. It's just loud but it's not scary."

Sam: "But Mom, it's REALLY loud!"

Me: "I know bud. But remember what we talked about? It's just God playing His drums up in heaven. God is just playing some music for you."

Sam: "Well, I think that God needs to play his music a little softer so I can go to sleep!"





















No comments:

Post a Comment