Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Boys' Room

Well, it only took a few months but we FINALLY got around to finishing up the boys' room. I know I mentioned in my post about the girls' room that we were in the process of decorating their room, I just didn't know it would take so long. I suppose that's what an almost month-long vacation can do for your motivation.

Anyway, I finally took some pictures and thought I would share them. There's still a few things I may add, but we are done with most of the big stuff. And remember  that little limitation we have of not being allowed to paint walls or choose our own carpet. I don't know what I'll do the day that I have a wall I can paint. Look out Benjamin Moore ...

Like I've said before, I'm not really a "theme" kinda gal when it comes to decorating rooms. I try to keep it within a certain genre and color scheme, but that's about it. Which is why I was surprised when I went with a bit of theme for the boys' room: Transportation. It's still pretty broad and my boys are really into any and all machinery or vehicles, so it worked. I went with navy and red as the main colors in the room with some tan thrown in. Also, as with the girls, I tried to make the room suitable for a child, but not too babyish, thus letting the room grow with the boys (I don't want to have to be re-decorating again in a couple years when it already took me a year and a half to finally get this one done!).

Ok, on with the pictures!

This is the view looking into the boys' room from the hallway.














Sam's bed is to the left and Luke's crib is to the right (you can't see it) once you walk in the door. That's the train table in the middle of the room. Please excuse the glare ... the sun is in their room all morning and that's when I took the pictures.

Here's the view if you step into the room and look to the right.
The boys have three big windows in their room, which means they get tons of light in here. The only time we have to turn on the lights is at night, which is great. The valances are navy and hang flat, which I love. They came from Bed, Bath and Beyond (as did the hardware). They have a few large, fabric covered buttons (hard to see in the photo) that add just a little bit of texture to them as well.

Here's the shot from the diagonal opposite of the room (if I stand right up against the dresser and face the doorway).
We really don't need the rocking chair anymore, but I think we'll leave it there until Luke transitions out of his crib to a bed. Mostly I use it as a place to pile stuff, so I don't want to let it go for that reason!

Here are a few close-ups of Luke's side of the room.
All the prints on the wall came from different eBay or Etsy sellers. I was going for transportation, so there's a mix of trucks, planes, boats, etc. I tried to keep the pictures within the navy/red/tan color block as best as I could. Luke's crib is a hand-me-down from one of the triplets. They were hand made by a man in Jacksonville and I just love them. The back of the crib can become a full bed's headboard, so we will save it for that if we ever need it. Sadly, the store has closed since we got the cribs, so I'm glad we got them when we did!

The shelf:
We got the shelf at Ikea (as well as all the frames for the pictures in the room). Everything on the shelf came from various places over the course of time. I especially like the vintage car tin plate (propped up behind the ship) and the old red children's cash register that Matt brought back from his PaPa's house when he was there for his funeral last month.

Here is Sam's part of the room from the side ...
And from straight on ...
His bed is black iron and made by Wesley Allen. We got the same one for Luke when we bought Sam's and it's collecting dust in the basement until he gives up the crib (I am in NO hurry for that!). We'll eventually add a small bedside table next to both boys' beds once they are a bit older, but it would only serve as a safety hazard right now (meaning they would break it and anything I put on top of it). His sheets (sailboats) and quilt are from Homegoods, one of my all-time favorite stores. The chest at the foot of his bed was another find from PaPa's house. It's an old wooden toy box that works great at the end of the bed for storing sheets and towels).

Finally, here's a better shot of the dresser.
It was made by the same man to match the cribs. It has always doubled as the changing table because I didn't want a dresser AND changing table taking up space. Once Luke is out of diapers (yes, there is a light at the end of the tunnel) we'll be able to remove the changing pad (and diaper pail, yay!). I love how tall the chest is and it has really deep drawers. It comfortably holds both boys' clothes.

So there you have it ... boys' room, done! Only took me 18 months, but it's finally finished! Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment