Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Vacation, Part II

As I mentioned before, we spent the week after the wedding at the beach! I will take any excuse to hang out at the beach for a while, so I was definitely excited about this week. Being raised in Florida, I think I'll always have a little bit of salt water running through my veins.

I was really excited about the beach this year because I was pretty confident that the kiddos had reached perfect "beach" age. The first summer we took them to the beach was a nightmare. Peyton, Adah and Sam were 18 months and Luke was 6 weeks old. Luke probably had the best time as he mostly slept through the week (though he and I had a nasty bout with mastitis during the week that put even more of a damper on things ... I'll spare you the details). It was hot, everyone sweat, sunscreen ran into eyes, babies rubbed their eyes, screaming ensued, now there was sand in the eyes, more screaming, babies got knocked over and scared by waves, naps were missed ... you get the picture. Not. Fun.

Last year was a bit better. We didn't get to spend a lot of time at the beach, but the kids had adjusted to everything the beach has to offer (and I got some non-eye-stinging sunscreen!). They were still a bit scared of the waves and Luke was a new walker, which made things a little harder for him.

Fast forward to this year. I was really hoping that three and a half and two were the perfect ages for a week at the beach. We were planning on spending A LOT of time on the sand in June and it was going to be miserable if the kids hated it.

Well, you know what???

They LOVED it!

I had four little beach bums on my hands before the week was over. And although we had a few setbacks (S and A got brave and ventured out a bit too far, thus getting pummeled by waves), we had a great overall week. We got to spend a lot of time with Bogey, Marmee, Aunt Meghann, Uncle Tuffy, and the whole Clifford clan. Lots of memories were made and it was so fun to watch our kids run and play in the same house, pool, and beach where my husband grew up. I hope we'll have a lot of memories made in this place as the kids grow older.

And now, the proof that we actually DID spend a week at Wild Dunes.

Here's how we got to the beach each day ...

























We spent most mornings splashing in the waves, making drip castles, looking for fish to catch in our nets, or endlessly writing our names on the sand. It's amazing how sand and some water can provide hours of endless entertainment.

























We also fit in a trip to the Charleston Aquarium. We had gone in January when we were in town for my sister's engagement party, so it was fun to go and see the new things they had added since our last visit.





I'd have to say that this year was the most successful one at the beach yet! The kids are becoming little fish in the pool and they love to do anything that involves putting on their bathing suits. I can't wait to head back next year and soak up some new memories!
Back soon with the grand finale!

No comments:

Post a Comment