Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Toddler Speak

I had the funniest and cutest conversation with Sam and Peyton today. These are the kind of things you remember way down the road when they're a bunch of angsty teenagers I suppose. And although relaying a conversation in a blog doesn't nearly give it its due justice, I thought I would tell it anyway.

I was changing Peyton's diaper (something we are hoping to rid her of in the very near future!) on the changing table. As those of you who know her are aware, she will often talk aimlessly to no one in particular at all times of the day. Well, today she was actually speaking to me.

Peyton:  "Mommy, I'm not a baby."

Me:  "I know that, you're a big girl now."

Peyton (pausing to think first):  "But I'm still YOUR baby."

Be still my heart. The cuteness was pervasive at this point.

Me:  "You're right. You're still my baby."

Sam (waiting beside me for his changing):  "I'm a Santa baby."
(We must have played that song too much this past Christmas - oops.)

Just thought I would share. We are all finally well again after a stomach virus invaded the house last week as well. What a relief. Does anyone know how to remove the smell of regurgitated lunch from a car seat? We have done everything except run the seat through a car wash and the smell still lingers, ew. Seriously, let me know if you have any solutions.

We also finally switched to toddler beds (we have the convertible cribs) this week. I had heard horror stories about this and wasn't sure if I was ready for it. The kids were happy in their cribs, but we need to have them learn to sleep in regular beds for when we go on vacations this summer. Pack and plays are no longer an option since they officially cannot physically fit in them anymore. We made a big deal about their big boy/girl beds (Sam still calls his a big girl bed ... poor guy still has trouble realizing he's not "one of the girls") and told them that they had to stay in bed until Mommy and Daddy came to get them. That was it. No rewards, no threats, nothing ... and it worked!! They have not gotten out of bed once during bedtime or naps and we can hear them awake in there for a while before we go to get them out. If it's possible, I actually think they fall asleep faster than they did when they were confined in the crib! All I can say is Hallelujah! Next up, potty training. I have a feeling that frontier may be a bit more daunting than this...

No comments:

Post a Comment