Monday, December 21, 2009

You Know You Live in the Ghetto

As many of you know, we live on a college campus as part of my husband's job. All of this is about to change in a couple of weeks once we move to North Carolina, so I've been feeling a little nostalgic lately. Not only do we live on a college campus, but that campus just happens to be right in the middle of a not-so-nice part of town. Actually, I'll just skip the euphemisms and say it ... we live in the ghetto. Free housing definitely comes with strings attached. Therefore, in the spirit of Jeff Foxworthy's "You know you're a redneck when ..." series, here are my ways for you to know if you live in the ghetto.

You know you live in the ghetto when ...

The builing down the street from your house that just recently served as an animal hospital and then a funeral home is now a no-fault insurance business.

You frequently see helicopters circling your residence at night with their search lights on.

The way the seafood shop down the street advertises the size of their jumbo shrimp is by having an employee stand on the side of the road holding up an actual shrimp as people drive by. I don't know about you, but it's a little hard for me to gauge the size of a shrimp as I'm driving past it at 40 mph.

Your 2 year olds can recognize and instantly discriminate the difference between a police car, ambulance, and fire truck siren.

The local park is located right next door to the ABC liquor store. We have taken to affectionately calling it Liquor Park.

You are surrounded by a plethora of daycare centers, all of which are unable to spell words correctly. For example:
Kidzworld Academy
Kid Konnections
Aaa Academy of Excellence (ok, these people just wanted to be the first listing in the phone book)
Doe Little Dears (I get it, but it's just a little cheesy for me)
Kids Korner

I could go on, but I can hear my peeps giving me a shout out to get off the computer. Hope everyone is having a great holiday season so far. I can't believe Christmas is around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment