Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Kidspeak

The boys are REALLY into the superheros lately.

I get it. They're boys. They like to wrestle and fight and roll around on the floor. I get it. I don't really understand it, but I know that there is a part of their brains that makes them want to do all these crazy things so I just chalk it up to that Y chromosome.

Recently though, the running and chopping and shooting has gotten a little out of control. We don't allow them to have play guns, but I can't really stop them from making anything and everything into a gun. Blocks, sticks, if it fits in their hands, it becomes a gun.

We've talked about how guns do bad things, but they don't really grasp the severity of that yet. They just like to run around "shooting" things, mainly their sisters.

Well, you can imagine what the sisters think about that.

The conflict got bad enough last week that I declared a "No More Guns" policy in the house at this time. This meant no making pretend guns out of blocks, paper, or fingers. However, the boys are finding it a little hard to stop their games.

The other morning as I was getting breakfast ready, the boys crashed through the kitchen with their superhero capes on and blocks in their hands that were definitely in the shape of some sort of shooting apparatus. And by the screaming I could hear from the girls and the "puu-puu!" sound from the boys (that is the sound a block gun makes if you were wondering), I could tell that my no guns policy was being ripped to shreds. Here's how it went down ...

Me: "Luke! Sam! What are you guys doing?"

Luke (from the other room): "Nothing Mom!"

Me: "Um, I think you're doing something that you aren't supposed to be doing."

Sam: "What?"

Me: "Are you shooting? Did you make guns out of your blocks? Come in here so I can see you."

Luke and Sam come in to the kitchen, block guns in hand.

Me: "What are those in your hands?"

Sam: "Mom, they aren't guns."

Luke: "Yeah Mom, they aren't!"

Me: "Really? Then what are they?

Luke: "They're super GLUE guns, Mom!."

Sam: "Yeah, super glue guns. We're trying to glue the girls."


I can't decide if they're geniuses or just a little slow on the uptake.


1 comment: