Friday, May 11, 2012

My Reminder

Most of you guys know Luke, right?





















He's number four of our group of banshees. The only singleton baby we have. He's the one who loves excavators, dump trucks, and "fork-liffers." He likes to do things BY HIMSELF! He loves trying to make people laugh. He seeks out hugs and snuggles and is right smack in the middle of what I like to call the they-call-them-the-terrible-two's-just-so-you-won't-be-petrified-by-the-even-more-terrible-three's stage. He is spunk and spit-fire and giggles coiled up inside a warm little Spiderman pajama-clad body.

Luke is so many things to so many people. He's my baby, my baby who will turn 3 years old tomorrow. But more than anything, he serves as my reminder.

God put Luke on this earth to remind me daily that I am not in control. Hear that self?!? YOU ARE NOT IN CHARGE! You see, I've had a bit of a hard time accepting that throughout the course of my life. Oh sure, I make my own decisions and try to control the direction I am going, but Luke's daily presence is God's way of gently reminding me that no, I am not the one in control.

You see, Luke's birth was out of my control. His mere existence was out of my control since he was never supposed to exist. We weren't capable of creating him, supposedly.

But God has a funny way of making the impossible, possible. Miracles come in all shapes, forms, and sizes, and this certain miracle came to us in an 8 lb, 7 oz package on May 12, 2009. He wasn't supposed to be able to be here, but he was.

So as I look at Luke and watch him grow, I am constantly reminded that I am not the one who oversees my own life. I must trust God and his plans for me, because they are so, so much greater than the ones I ever foresaw for myself. Luke's presence has taught me to live with purpose, and to follow the One who matters in the process. The One who loved me enough to show me, in the most loving way possible, that I am not in control. I'm so glad He taught me that lesson.

Happy 3 Year Reminder Luke! You will always symbolize the grace, forgiveness, and wonder that my awe-inspiring God gave me in the form of you just a few short years ago. You remind me that reliance on God is not a crutch, but an acceptance of the life He can give both you and me if we turn to Him and love with all of our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment